When I was job searching I used to prepare for interviews like they were mid term exams. I studied websites, took notes, even looked up the potential employers. I prepared for questions I didn't know if I would be asked, and made job searching my full time job. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating and made it more of a part time job. My point is, I was obsessed with finding a job and if I actually landed an interview, I made sure I was ready for anything they threw at me.
Now let me just say that I did interview two very great candidates yesterday, one of which was overqualified (I finally understand what this term means & that this is a real reason not to hire someone), and the other is still in the running. That being said, I squeezed in another interview today during a time that I was all of a sudden extremely busy. My normal readers should now know that if I am writing about it now, it probably didn't go so hot.
Let us call our interviewing applicant....Pringle. (I have a can of pringles next to me...hey...they were on sale.) Pringle called me not once, not twice, but FOUR times on his way to the interview because he couldn't find our location. A location that is on google maps. A location that I had no trouble finding when I interviewed for a position. The first time he called he was within a half mile of where we are. I gave him very clear, specific directions as to where to turn around, how many miles it would be, how many minutes away he was, yet he still called back a second time. The second time he called he was further away than the first time. I was frustrated, but gave him even better directions than the first. When Pringle called the third time I was fed up. I wanted to tell him to go home. By round four, he had found his was and was finally about to arrive.
I had already written down "poor listening skills" and "bad sense of direction" on a blank piece of paper where I would take my notes on Pringle. He filled out his application and then I took him back to ask him a few questions.
Q1. Tell me a little bit about yourself. [You would think this is a standard question when interviewing. Where did you grow up, when did you graduate, what have you done since then...] Pringle did NOT have an answer. Rather, his answer was "ummmmm" as I stared at him with a blank face. I clarify what I am asking him and his answer was: "I auditioned for American Idol once."
Really, Pringle? I don't care if you auditioned for American Idol. That has nothing to do with your position here. Obviously you had zero success with that audition, because you are sitting in front of me, a college graduate who is half your age now.
Q2. What makes you want to work in a spa environment? "I like it." Then there was a long pause. No elaboration on his part. Wow, Pring. Really insightful. Great answer. Not.
Q3. Well, what do you like best? "The music."....Dammit Pringle. SERIOUSLY? I know NOTHING about you. Horrible, horrible interviews. And the thing is, Pringle was smiling the whole time. Did he really think I was going to jump up and down and say "Oh Mylanta you are the PERFECT candidate for this position. I am SO glad you called me FOUR times because without you our establishment would go up in flames."
Needless to say Pringle's interview didn't last long before I sent him out the door. I just can't believe he didn't prepare at all. I understand that some people are good at making things up on the fly. Some people are nominated to make toasts at weddings 3 seconds before they have to make them and magically think of something to say that makes sense. Some people get asked standard questions for a job interview and can't manage to muster up a few words let alone a coherent sentence. Good luck, Pringle. You won't be getting a job here.
I have another story about witnessing a love connection occur at the post office, but it is past my bedtime so that is a story for another day.
Over and out.
[I hate asking for comments but I love reading them and finding out who is reading these, so if you feel inclined, please leave one.]
6 comments:
great, now i'm going to chew my pillow all night cause i'll be thinking about pringles.
i thought the criteria for the job was that they sit there and look good. was he at least good looking? maybe you would have liked him more if his name really WAS Pringle... it's kinda catchy!
I love how perfectly you abbreviated Pringle. You're my hero... and Pringle is a bonehead. YEAH, I said it... BONEHEAD
p.s. my security word verification is supola... kind of makes me want broc and cheese soup. I would invite you to join me but I know you have to hide broccoli in fettuccine Alfredo to actually eat them. Maybe if I changed it to French Onion soup you would be more comfortable!
First of all I can sympathize with Pringle...some of us don't have built in GPS systems. I for one have driven around the same block several times before realizing I was lost...hahahahaha! The rest is amazing....yes interviews do take preparing for...a lesson taught by every G R E A T parent. Now I'm off to the store to buy some Pringles...
I forgot to put the part in here about how I asked him how he handles stress and his answer was:
"I don't"
...So stupid.
Okay, really now, how do you put up with morons like that on a regular basis? But, I suppose, if you didn't, I would be less entertained by reading your blog.
Post a Comment